Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A couple more private chapel examples...

(Brendan)

I've got one more private, residential chapel that I have found on the internet (so this makes three total, including the two I have posted about previously). This one was done as an "outbuilding", or structure that is not attached to the main home (even if we wanted to do the same, outbuildings are not allowed by our neighborhood covenants). It was done in Scotland by a British classical architect, with St. Rita of Cascia as the patron of the chapel.


The chapel even includes an original sculpture of St. Rita by excellent Scottish artist Alexander Stottart:
Having an original sculpture of the patron of the chapel echoes what we would like to do, with Anthony Visco as the artist (see here).

The chapel itself certainly has a low level of relation in style (and in cost) to what ours will be, but I still like seeing what others have done. It's also much bigger than anything we would need or be able to do. I appreciate the respect for the sacredness of the chapel and the use of the traditions of church architecture.

I also would like to show another private chapel that has been pointed out to me. In a previous post, Sara Fruend pointed out some details on a chapel in the University of St. Thomas' Rome campus. This isn't strictly a residential use of a chapel, as this building is used by a University, and I think a chapel at a campus like this would be quite common. But, it is a chapel that is worked into a "home-like" floor plan, and I think that is interesting.
I like the location of the chapel right next to a study area, and this is similar to our chosen Scheme C (see here and here) as we would like a library area or sitting area right off the chapel (it's currently listed as "living room," but this would be revised later). I also like the mini-sanctuary that is "carved out" of the wall of the chapel with the altar. Even in a "box-like" floor plan, there's still things like this that can be done to unite the space to Church traditions.

I'm a little jealous of the fine UST students, like Sara, who got to study at this campus for a semester! Being from the Twin Cities, and despite having attended sports arch rival St. John's in Collegeville, MN in my undergraduate years, I thank God for the solid Catholic witness UST provides our metro area. UST is also connected with the St. Paul Seminary (right across the street) where my younger brother Evan is discerning the priesthood.

2 comments:

Debbie (Nana) Koop said...

I have heard recently of a home that was for sale in the Afton area which had a chapel built within the home. I don't know if you could find it, but it would be so cool to try to see it in person. People have said that it was in the paper - that's how they found out about it.

Brendan Koop said...

Mom:

I tried to look up the home you are talking about with some rudimentary searches but couldn't find anything. Definitely let me know if you have any more info.

Love,

Brendan