Friday, April 4, 2008

Proudly, my undergrad alma mater presents part of the St. John's Bible to the Pope today!

(Brendan)
The Benedictine Abbey of St. John's University in Collegeville, MN, my undergraduate alma mater (class of '98, Physics), presented Pope Benedict XVI with a portion of The St. John's Bible today! The St. John's Bible has been commissioned by St. John's as the first hand-written Bible in the world in the last 500 years, and probably the most famous illuminated manuscript since the Book of Kells 1,300 years ago (which I have seen in person at Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland). The Bible is a multi-year project and is still being completed, but I must say, way to go Johnnies! The Pope called it "a work for eternity."

Here's video of the Pope being presented with a portion of a rare reproduction of The St. John's Bible.

And here's the story from St. John's, which has links to coverage from local and international media at the bottom.

My parents are in Rome right this moment on a vacation tour of Italy facilitated by St. John's, so they are very excited about this. My dad is also an alum, and my mom is an alum of the nearby College of St. Benedict.

No comments: